Monday, January 4, 2016

"The Land from Where the Water Flows"


Land transferred by Native land owners  to Pynchon & company. 

Limited to 9 miles west of  the Connecticut River.  

SELECT the following paragraph to read Indian Deeds of Hamden County, and obtain reference pages. 
Signed by: Chickwallop alias Wawhillowa, Nenessahalant, Nassicohee, Kiunks, Paquahalant, Assellaquompas & Awonuske ye wife of Willuther all of Nanotuck who are ye chief & proper owners of all the land on the west side of the Quinetticot River at Nanotuck. 24 September 1653. 

THE Green and Walker Grant:
Between the Westfield River on the West and 130 Rods (About) westerly from the Westhampton Town Line on the East. The Indians appear to have reserved a corridor measuring "about" 130 rods wide, southerly along the west border of Northampton (Now Westhampton) from Norwich Pond, extending over 500 rods.  It excluded a pie shaped sliver of land between  it and the 1738 Ingersoll grant. The colonists deemed this "unappropriated land. 

The map below dated 1772  notes the Green and Walker Grant and  includes the Ingersoll grant as well. 


Land transferred by Native land owners: Eastern boundary was the Westfield River. It omitted the land from the Westfield River to the Westhampton Town Line.   This was still owned by the Indians. 

Map Dated 1772. Source: History of the Town of Murrayfield: page 15  :

NOTE: The distance from the north end of Norwich Lake to Route 66 is about 2.5 miles.
797 Rods is about 2.5 miles. Note also the diagonal formed by the north end of the Ingersoll Grant.
A strip of Land reserved by the Indians.

"One of the tracts given to make 
up an equivalent for their rights in Upper Housa^onnock was located
about 130 rods west of the west line of the town of Northampton,
and consisted of 2,000 acres of land. The southwest corner of this
grant, which was known as the Green & Walker Grant, touched the
north line of the Ingersoll Grant. The west line was near the east
branch of Westfield River, a part of which was included toward the
northwest part of the grant. The pond known as Norwich Pond was
for the most part within the grant, occupying the northeast corner;
the north line of the grant passed across the north end of the pond.:

Description of northern end of Ingersoll Grant.

By deed dated August 1-tth, 1738, Ingersoll sold the north end of 
his grant to John Johnson of Boston, a marriner, and described it as
follows :

" Beginning 800 rods from the southwest corner of Northampton on North-
ampton west line; then North 44° West 750 perch; Then beginning at first
bound running North 5° East on Northampton line 335 peich; then North 63°
West 900 rods; then South 15° West 150 rods; then turning and running 250
rods to the westernmost end of the 750 perch line." The quantity of land was
estimated to be 1500 acres.

Westfield River Watershed Link

History of Huntington  (History of Murrayfield.)